Fit Mom Laura London By Kim Leto Dolan


Inspirational 46-Year-Old Mom of 3 Laura London

When you look at Laura London, the words, 46-year-old mother of three, are far from your first thought. Growing up without any form of athleticism, this inspirational mom decided to stop hiding behind baggy clothes and take on the challenge of educating herself and getting in the best shape of her life. She learned how to train properly, eat the right foods at the right time, and how to adjust to the ever-changing schedule of a mom. Suffering from back problems and some serious life changes, Laura has had to transform herself more than once. Taking her experiences and creating her annual show, The Fit and Fabulous Mom Contest she is spreading the fit-mom message and giving other people an opportunity to celebrate their fitness goals. Join me in congratulating Laura on the outstanding example  she is setting and get inspired!
Kim: Share a little about you.
Laura: Hi, I am Laura London and I live in Boca Raton, Florida. I am a 46 year wife and mother of three children. I have been married to my wonderful husband of 21 years. We have three children ages 18, 14 and 12, two girls and a boy.
Kim: Have you gone through a transformation?
Laura:  I gone through not only one transformation but put all my weight back on and had to do it all over again!
Growing up my brother was a hemophiliac, his blood did not clot without special injections every few days. Because of this we did not play any type of sport in my household. We did not even watch sports on TV! I grew up “Sport Illiterate”.
In high school and college I lived on sugar and junk food and was always sick and tired. I contracted mononucleosis in high school and then later chronic fatigue and Epstein Barr. I was always tired, worn out and had a hard time concentrating on anything. I went from doctor to doctor but no one ever seemed to be able to help me and get rid of the fatigue and weight I had put on.
I got married and had three beautiful babies, put on more weight and was again tired and out of shape. Once day while grocery shopping I saw a magazine that had incredible before and after transformations in it, I had never seen anything like that before, I was in awe!I made up my mind right there, I wanted to do that too. So I joined a gym, remember I had not even played a sport in my life. I was determined to get into shape. I had no one to depend on but myself and my desired to change.
Kim: How did you get your body back post-baby?
Laura: I got my fit body by giving 100%. Writing down my goals, journaling my food and following an exercise plan of cardio and strength training. I learned about weight training exercise and fitness terms which were all new to me. I learned what to eat, how to eat and when to eat. There was no stopping me. I started with my T-shirt down to my knees, covering up my body and then little by little things got shorter and soon I was in the best shape of my life in my mid thirties after having 3 small children. I even entered into figure competitions and won 1st place three times!!
Then, life got in the way again. I had a debilitating back injury, I lost my father and my only sibling, my brother in a very short period of time. Depression set in, not dealing with the pain of loosing two of the most important people in my life, a husband who traveled all the time and three small children, two with learning issues was more than I could handle. I went back to food to soothe myself and not deal with the overload that life was handing me.
Fast forward to 43, I am once again, tired and out of shape and embarrassed because I had been in such great shape once before. I was buying pants with an elastic waist band, my hormones were out of control and I had fat in places it never was before ! I thought, is this what the 40′s and the rest of my life was going to be about, being tired, buying bigger clothes and not feeling good about myself? I decided I had had enough. I went back to what I knew, clean eating, weight training and now green organic and toxic free-living. My back injury is always going to be a major issue for me, but I have learned to work with and around it and stay fit at the same time.I just turned 46 and since my 40′s transformation have been doing things and living a life I never even dreamed possible.
Kim: Anything you’ve accomplished you would like to share?
Laura: In my 40′s I have become a Nationally Certified Personal Trainer, Published Fitness Model, Certified On Line Woman’s Health Coach, been in exercise DVD’s, infomercials and movie trailers. I was even voted Over 40 Transformation of the year by the BodyBuilding.com members! That was a great honor.
I am living proof that age has no barrier on fitness. With a strong desire, determination and commitment you can be unstoppable at any age.
My passion and mission are to help other woman be the best they can be at any age, with a family! I always say when mom takes care of herself and feels good everything just seems to run a little smoother.
My pride and joy right now is the Fit and Fabulous Mom Contest that I host each year. This year it will be October 12th in Boca Raton, Florida. No Bikini’s allowed. All you need to get on stage are a fitness outfit and evening look and a great attitude. It is about stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something you never thought you would do. Life starts outside of your comfort zone. Trust me on this one… It is a night of great family fun.
Kim: What is your favorite fit-mom, fit-family meal? Snack? Any go to items?
Laura: My favorite fit mom meal is a piece of wild salmon with 1/2 a sweet potato and steamed broccoli. I love salmon!
Our fit family meal is plain and simple marinated grilled chicken with either brown rice or baked sweet and regular potatoes and steamed or garlic roasted broccoli. It is hard to find a meal to please all five of my family members with very different tastes.
Snack items and as I call them grab and go…… Organic greek yogurt with cut up fruit, cinnamon and a sprinkle of old-fashioned oat meal, fruit, hummus and veggie stix, almonds, hardboiled eggs and the kids love low-fat mozzarella sticks to grab.
Kim: What is your Favorite Fit-Family activity? 
Laura: Our favorite Fit-Family activity is bike riding. It is something we have all been able to do together no matter how young the kids were. My son is now preparing to run his first 5k race and then wants to go try an obstacle course race! Maybe a family team?
The girls love shopping but I am not sure if that counts as a FIT-Family activity :)
Kim:  How do you stay fit amidst a hectic schedule and manage to do it all?
Laura: I juggle so much every day just like all the other mom’s. The way I manage to stay fit is to plan. Planning is the key to my success. I schedule in my workouts, plan my meals in advance and always prepare for the unexpected.
I always have healthy snacks in my car, so I am not caught with bad food choices. At night I run through the next days events to I know what it is I have to get done.
Being a mom, our schedules can change at the drop of a hat. Someone forgets their homework at home, a child is sick , it is always changing. But making sure to find the time for yourself and your health is the most important thing you can do for your family. You are worth it and you will have more energy to get through those crazy days!
Kim: Words of motivation and inspiration for other moms?
Laura:
* You can do anything you put your mind to.
* Surround yourself with positive people
* Believe in yourself
* Enjoy the journey
* Love Yourself
* Slow and steady wins the race
* There is no right or wrong, just doing……….
To learn more about Laura, connect with her here:

Comments

Popular Posts